2019上海警察学员群 178475380 微信：shzjks
Directions: Beneath each of the following sentences there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one answer that best completes the sentence.
1. Language, culture, and personality may be considered ______ of each other in thought, but they are inseparable in fact.
A. indistinctly B. separately C. irrelevantly D. independently
2. There is no ______ to the house from the main road.
A. access B. avenue C. exposure D. edge
3. Watching me pulling the calf awkwardly to the barn, the Irish milkmaid fought hard to ______ her laughter.
A. hold back B. hold on C. hold out D. hold up
4. ______ quantities of water are being used nowadays with the rapid development of industry and agriculture.
A. Excessive B. Extensive C. Extreme D. Exclusive
5. He wrote an article criticizing the Greek poet and won ______ and a scholarship.
A. status B. fame C. faith D. courage
6. The work was almost complete when we received orders to _______ no further with it.
A. progress B. proceed C. march D. promote
7. A season ticket ______ the holder to make as many journeys as he wishes within the stated period of time.
A. grants B. promises C. entitles D. presents
8. Only a selected number of landladies in the neighborhood have been allowed by the university to take in ______.
A. residents B. inhabitants C. lodgers D. settlers
9. In my opinion, he’s ______ the most imaginative of all the contemporary poets.
A. in all B. at best C. for all D. by far
10.If people feel hopeless, they don’t bother to _________ the skills they need to succeed.
A. adopt B. acquire C. accumulate D. assemble